Poetry for pleasure
Here is a poem submitted by Janet Freeman, written by her son, John. Those of you who live in and around Welton will recognise some of the descriptions.
Driving after Lockdown
The Institute of Advanced Motoring held a webinar to help drivers gain confidence with driving again after lockdown. If you are interested in seeing what they said, you can see a recording in Youtube by following ON THIS LINK
Just for Fun
Now that the situation is changing and most of us can get out, we have decided that we do not need a Lockdown page. Instead we have introduced this page for those who want something else to do with no pressure. We have retained the members’ photos and hope to get more, both from previous holidays and from those who have managed to break out!
Just a Quiz
If you are fond of quizes, try ours. There are no prizes, they are just for fun.
The answers to the first quiz are available by clicking the link Quiz 1 Q&A
You can open and print it using Adobe Reader.
Here is the second quiz, answers to follow. You can download and print a version by clicking on Quiz 2 Questions
Round 6: TV – Questions
1) What is the capital of Westeros in Game of Thrones?
2) Who presented TV quiz Blockbusters between 1983 and 1995?
3) In Netflix’s Tiger King, what is the name of Carole Baskin’s second husband who many believe she fed to the tigers?
4) In Emmerdale, on New Year’s Day in 2004, who died when The Woolpack pub’s chimney came crashing down in a storm?
5) In what Netflix series does actress Gillian Anderson play a sex therapist?
6) Who played Queen Elizabeth II in the first two seasons of The Crown?
7) BBC Three series Normal People is based on a book but who is the author?
8) The six main stars of Friends appeared in all 236 episodes. Who is the next most regular character to appear in the show?
9) Who does the voiceover on Love Island?
10) In what year was the first episode of Coronation Street broadcasted on ITV?
Round 7: Music – Questions
1) One Direction is known for being the runners-up in The X Factor in 2010, but who came first?
2) Which singer has the most UK Number One singles ever?
3) What was Britney Spears’ first single called?
4) Who is the only singer to have ever performed more than one James Bond theme song?
5) Who were the three headliners of Glastonbury 2019?
6) Who is the only musician ever to have been awarded the Nobel prize for literature?
7) Which Beatles song was banned from the BBC for its lyrics?
8) Who was the first female artist to achieve a UK number one with a self-written song?
9) What is the real name of U2’s guitarist, known as The Edge?
10) What is David Bowie’s real name?
Round 8: Football – Questions
1) Which year was the Premier League founded?
2) Real Madrid won the first five European Cups – but which club was the second to win Europe’s elite competition?
3) Who holds the record for most consecutive Premier League appearances (310)?
4) Which club won the 2017 UEFA Super Cup?
5) Who was manager of Manchester City when they won their first Premier League title?
6) Who has scored more career goals – Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi?
7) Which Dutch player was voted ‘European Player of the Century’ in 1999?
8) Who scored the first Premier League hat-trick?
9) Which English referee officiated the 2010 World Cup final?
10) Wayne Rooney scored his Premier League first goal against which team?
Round 9: Celebrity – Questions
1) Which singer was known amongst other things as ‘The King of Pop’?
2) What is Cher’s last name?
3) What is the name of Kim Kardashian’s eldest child?
4) Who was the winner of the first ever UK series of ‘I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!’?
5) Which English supermodel was born is Streatham in May 1970?
6) Which footballer has the most Instagram followers in the world – as of 2020?
7) Tom Cruise is an outspoken member of which religion?
8) Who is Dolly Parton married to?
9) American singer Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta is best known by which stagename?
10) Taylor Swift grew up on what type of farm?
Round 10: True or false – Questions
1) The Channel Tunnel is the longest rail tunnel in the world
2) A woman has walked on the Moon
3) According to Scottish law, it is illegal to be drunk in charge of a cow
4) Vietnamese is an official language in Canada
5) The setting for the ITV drama Midsomer Murders is a fictional English county called Midsomer
6) An emu can fly
7) President Theodore Roosevelt’s son was called Kermit
8) Edinburgh is further East than Carlisle
9) The can-opener was not invented until 45 years after the tin can
10) There are McDonald’s on every continent except one
Just 11 People
Eleven people were hanging on a rope under a helicopter, ten men and one woman. The rope was not strong enough to hold them all so one of them must fall off otherwise the helicopter will be brought down and they would all perish. The woman spoke up and made a touching speech, saying that she would let go of the rope to save them all, as a woman she was used to making sacrifices for her husband and family and for men in general with little or no return. When she finished, the men were so touched by her speech they all began to applaud. …………….
Send this to a smart woman and give her something to smile about.
Just a Few Moments of Clarity
As I sat, strapped in my seat waiting during the countdown, one thought kept crossing my mind … every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.
When the white missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land.
They said ‘Let us pray.’ We closed our eyes.
When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.
– Desmond Tutu
America is the only country where a significant proportion of the population believes that professional wrestling is real but the moon landing was faked.
– David Letterman
I’m not a paranoid, deranged millionaire. I’m a billionaire.
– Howard Hughes
After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box.
– Italian proverb
The only reason they say ‘Women and children first’ is to test the strength of the lifeboats.
– Jean Kerr
I’ve been married to a communist and a fascist, and neither would take out the garbage.
– Zsa Zsa Gabor
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.
– Prince Philip
Wood burns faster when you have to cut and chop it yourself.
– Harrison Ford
The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.
– Spike Milligan
Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.
– Robin Hall
Kill one man and you’re a murderer, kill a million and you’re a conqueror.
– Jean Rostand.
Having more money doesn’t make you happier.
I have 50 million dollars but I’m just as happy as when I had 48 million.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger.
We are here on earth to do good unto others What the others are here for, I have no idea.
– W. H Auden
If life were fair Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
– Johnny Carson
Hollywood must be the only place on earth where you can be fired by a man wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a baseball cap.
– Steve Martin
Home cooking. Where many a man thinks his wife is.
– Jimmy Durante
America is so advanced that even the chairs are electric.
– Doug Hamwell
The first piece of luggage on the carousel never belongs to anyone.
– George Roberts
If God had intended us to fly he would have made it easier to get to the airport.
– Jonathan Winter
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.
– Robert Benchley
The weather person is the only person that I know, that can be wrong 99.9 % of the time and still have a job the next day.